Wellington Hospital's Total Energy Centre
Wellington Hospital's Total Energy Centre – Wellington – New Zealand
1959 - 1976
Often mistaken for an incinerator, this striking building is actually home to Wellington Hospital's Total Energy system that uses fuels to generate electricity and provide heat for the Hospital's high temperature hot water distribution system. Constructed along with other buildings and the re-development of the Hospital's facilities between 1959 and 1976, the Wellington Hospital's Total Energy Centre was constructed by Fletcher Development Construction Limited and Hawker Siddeley Engineering Pty Limited with engineering consulting by Kerslake and Partners, and Edwards Clendon and Partners. The building is heritage listed and was recognised as part of the country's IPENZ “Engineering to 1990” project during New Zealand's sesquicentenary celebrations in 1990.